FFS Refiners (Pty) Limited operates plants and storage facilities throughout South Africa, and specialises in re-refining used and residual hydrocarbon streams and coal tars to produce high quality, fit-for-purpose fuels and products, one of which is low sulphur fuel. A significant positive impact of producing low sulphur fuels, is the reduction in sulphur dioxide emitted at customer installations, thereby reducing impacts on the global environment. This process of re-cycling positively impacts upon the environment by reducing the quantity of material which would otherwise be dumped. At the same time FFS Refiners is aware of the potential of its operations to negatively impact on the environment and is committed to a policy of improving environmental performance and encouraging responsible care in transport, storage, handling and use of its fuels.
FFS Refiners undertake to:
- Maximise the recovery of used hydrocarbons and the production of fuels and feedstocks thereby reducing the potential negative impact on the environment of inappropriate disposal of used hydrocarbons.
- Utilise employee skills and expertise to maximise the efficiency of clients’ fuel burning installations, thereby minimising atmospheric emissions.
- Maintain and continually improve an environmental management system according to the ISO 14001:2004 standard.
- As a minimum requirement, conform to all applicable environmental, health and safety legislation, as well as other requirements relating to its environmental aspects.
- Minimise significant adverse impacts on the environment associated with any new developments within the company through the use of integrated environmental management procedures, programmes or planning.
- Monitor and audit the environmental performance of all its operations and activities in order to continually reduce and prevent pollution.
- Regularly set and review objectives and targets for improved environmental performance at top management meetings.
- Promote environmental awareness and responsibility among employees, customers and suppliers and, where possible, use influence to improve their environmental performance.
- Maintain open relations on environmental matters with employees, relevant authorities, neighbouring organisations and other interested parties. This document shall be readily available to the public on request and communicated to all employees and persons working on behalf of the Company.